Thursday, May 14, 2009

Around the world with a shoebox

I don't remember where I found this prompt, but it struck me as an interesting question: "If you were given a free plane ticket around the world and a single shoebox for luggage, what would you pack?"

The shrewd, calculating side of my brain immediately responded, "Define 'luggage.' If the shoebox is my 'carry-on,' do I get a 'personal item' like a purse or a backpack as well?"

If the answer to that question were to be "yes," well, that really kind of takes all the fun out of it. For the sake of discussion, then, let's say that anything I take with me (barring the clothes on my back) must fit in this shoebox. Obviously, I can't bring everything I would need; I would be able to purchase and discard most things along the way. So what would I wish to have on this trip that is (a) small enough to fit in a shoebox, and (b) expensive and/or difficult to obtain?

After some thought, I think that my shoebox "priority" items would be the following:

Passport
Wallet (including the usual ID, credit cards, etc.)
Cash
Contact lenses and/or glasses
Digital camera (with an extra memory card)

Extra space might go to my Neti pot, and a couple of extra pairs of clean underwear and socks.

I'm ready to see the world!

--

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home